Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Rocket Blender Review (+ Tropical Smoothie Recipe!)

My mom picked up this Rocket Blender 17 piece set for me when it was on sale for about $15, and I recently decided it was high time to give it a go. Basically, this is a small blender that has two different blades – one for blending, chopping, and mixing, and another for grinding and whipping. It comes with four serving cups as well. This picture comes from the Meijer.com website:
 

I tried out the blending/chopping/mixing blade with a fun smoothie recipe (check out below) that I threw together. It was easy to use – no complicated assembly, no big mess, and the cups are lightweight, unlike my unwieldy glass blender. Just fill the cup with your ingredients, screw on the lid with the appropriate blade, place it on top of the motor base, and press down to pulse.
I feel like the cleanup was the best part – although the cups and blades are top-rack dishwasher safe, I just hand washed them quickly immediately after use. This took way less time than cleaning my full-size blender, since the cups are small enough to just fill with hot soapy water, screw on the lids, shake thoroughly, and rinse.
The Rocket comes with a few simple recipes and an easy-to-understand instruction booklet. It can allegedly grind coffee and spices, puree salsas and sauces, and whip up milkshakes, smoothies, and juices in a cinch. Unfortunately, the Rocket is not an ice crusher, so if you like to host parties that include margarita mix, make sure to buy plenty of crushed ice before trying it out on the Rocket!
If you can get it on sale like I did, I would say that the Rocket Blender is a good piece of practical kitchen equipment, especially for people who have small households and love smoothies. J
Tropical Smoothie Recipe
I’m personally not a big fan of the taste of pineapple (crazy, I know!), so I wanted a different tropical taste to this smoothie, especially since it’s been snowing so much the past few days! This is what I came up with using what was already in my fridge.
I used the Rocket Blender with the blending/chopping/mixing blade attachment, but a regular blender would work fine, too.
Makes 1 serving.
Ingredients:
·         6 oz Toasted Coconut Vanilla fat-free yogurt (I used Dannon’s Light & Fit)
·         1 cup frozen peaches, partially thawed
·         1 small banana
·         A splash of skim milk
·         Mint to garnish (optional)
Directions:
1.       Combine the yogurt, fruit, and milk in the blender, then pulse to desired consistency.
2.       Garnish with fresh mint, and enjoy a moment of the tropics in the middle of winter!
This recipe is less than 250 calories, is fat-free, has around 6 grams of protein, and is full of fruit that is rich in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. This would make a great breakfast or snack, although I chose to have it as dessert.
I love playing with kitchen equipment, so let me know if you have any requests!
Thanks for reading!
Anna

1 comment:

  1. Best Hand Blender Reviews as in hand grinder I assume? And cold coffee as in cold brew ? Well I use the ratio of 1:10 , coffee is to water. And grind size is course. As course as crushed pepper. Steep it for 12–16 hours depending on the bean and your taste preference.

    However, if you're talking about brewing, then grind slight finer than the grind size above. Use a filter brewing coffee machine or a pour over mechanism like v60, aeropress, clever dripper or Kalita wave. My fav ratio of coffee is to water for this 1:16 or 1:12. Depending on your preference. There is no right or wrong in making coffee.

    ReplyDelete