Monday, March 12, 2012

Product of the Week – Progresso’s 99% Fat Free Lentil Soup

I’m a big fan of lentils in general, and Progresso makes a tasty lentil soup in their Vegetable Classics line that I love.

Personally, I usually feel compelled to accompany soup with something on the side (crackers and cheese, some bread and fruit, a salad, or so forth) to help fill me up, but it just isn’t necessary with this soup. The whole can contains 2 servings of vegetables, 16g of protein and 6g of fiber – this is about 30% of my daily protein needs and 20% of my daily fiber needs, which is great since the whole can only has 280 calories and 3g of fat.
The only nutrition downside is the sodium content – If you eat the whole can, you’re consuming a whopping 1000 mg of sodium, which is almost half your daily limit. Soups and other convenience foods are often high in sodium, which is one of the many reasons a healthy diet is rich in fresh foods. However, this product still contains less sodium than a typical fast food value meal, and it costs less, too. If you’re in a hurry in the morning and don’t have time to pack a lunch, I’d pick something like this over a trip to a drive-thru during rush hour every time.

Try it out and let me know what you think, or leave some of your favorite grab-and-go lunch options in the comments section!
Thanks for reading!

Anna

1 comment:

  1. Hey there!

    I would like to add that for most grocery stores I've been to, when their Progresso and Chunky soup goes on sale, they are selling the vegetarian stuff.

    This definitely counts! You can probably find this for a dollar when Progresso Clam Chowder is going for a buck fifty.

    ReplyDelete